This call for applications is open for persons with citizenship of the Republic of Serbia.
The Mission to Serbia is assisting the integration of members of national minorities into public life, including through improving their proficiency in Serbian language. As part of these efforts, the Mission is looking for four Teaching Assistants for Serbian as a non-mother tongue to work in four selected elementary schools with instruction in Albanian in Bujanovac and Presevo during the second semester of this school year. The Teaching Assistants will help teachers of Serbian as a non-mother tongue employed by the schools to improve their teaching skills, modernize their approach in delivery of this school subject and introduce novelties in delivery of classes by organizing interactive workshops, games and quizzes in order to enhance the students' fluency in Serbian. The Teaching Assistants will work with teachers and students of the fourth and fifth grade in four selected elementary schools.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Each Teaching Assistant will work 40 hours per week (160 hours per month) and will be required to assist in the delivery of 40 classes of Serbian as a non-mother tongue per month. Specifically, the Teaching Assistants will:
- Plan lessons and teaching materials jointly with the teachers of Serbian as a non-mother tongue, employed by the schools, and assist the teachers in delivery of classes;
- Support the teachers in introducing and applying new teaching approaches and methodologies, and in tailoring them to the situation in a particular class and to the students' needs;
- Support students in acquiring a better knowledge of the Serbian language by introducing innovative methods of learning and contemporary teaching material (music, movies, the internet etc.);
- Support the teachers in developing innovative instruments and measuring tools to assess the students' knowledge of Serbian language;
- Assist in the assessment of the students' proficiency in Serbian;
- Organize additional/remedial classes for students who lag behind;
- Organize different curricular and extra-curricular activities enabling students to practice their knowledge of Serbian;
- Enhance intercultural competences of teachers and students;
- Liaise with the teachers in selected elementary schools;
- Work in close co-operation with the OSCE Mission to Serbia's focal point;
- Draft the final report containing recommendations and conclusions.
- Each Teaching Assistant will be deployed in either Bujanovac or Presevo, to assist in the delivery of classes and conduct different curricular and extracurricular activities aimed at improving teaching of Serbian and enhancing knowledge of students in this field.
- Citizenship of the Republic of Serbia;
- University degree in Serbian language and literature or similar;
- Previous experience in teaching Serbian as a non-mother tongue;
- Experience in teaching Serbian as a foreign language would be an asset;
- Familiarity with the societal and cultural environment in municipalities of southern Serbia;
- Basic knowledge of Albanian language would be an asset;
- Good presentation and communication skills;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, as well as the ability to integrate gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Computer literature with practical experience in Microsoft package;
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities, religions or cultural backgrounds and diverse views while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
Each Teaching Assistant will be employed in the period from 12 February to 18 June 2018, and will be remunerated in the amount of app. 600 EUR per month worked. This amount is intended to cover also any costs for travel, accommodations and food.
How to Apply
Please apply online through this website (https://jobs.osce.org) no later than 24 January 2018. Only applications received through this website will be considered; applications received by email, post etc. will not be accepted.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who have not been contacted by 2 February 2018 should consider there will be no follow up to their application.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, cancel the recruitment, offer a consultancy at a different level or with modified terms of reference or for a different duration.