The Senior Secretary provides secretarial, clerical and administrative services to the Chief Monitor including acting as the focal point for all secretarial matters concerning the office; is responsible for meeting/event management hosted by the Office of the Head of Mission including protocol matters; in charge of document/correspondence flow and record keeping; and coordinates the work of junior support staff.
Under the direct supervision of the HoM, provides the following services:
- Maintains the personal schedule of and makes appointments for the Chief Monitor (HoM);
- Prepares meetings and events hosted by the Office of the Head of Mission; ensures protocol is followed for high-level meetings; accompanies visitors, when required; co-ordinates in-house submission of required meeting documents; liaised with participants on invitations and related information; ensures logistics for meetings/events, venue set-up; and makes all necessary bookings for official dinners/lunches/receptions;
- Responsible for guiding document flow in the office, i.e. collating, copying, distributing, and filing of documents;
- Ensures that documents and correspondence for signature have prior been reviewed by all relevant offices and conform with OSCE/SMM standards, formatting, and administrative practices; responsible for the proper formatting of documents before submission for signature, and returns documents to originating offices for completion, amendment or correction, if necessary;
- Receives, screens, logs and routes correspondence, attaches necessary background information and maintains a follow-up system;
- Makes arrangements for official travel, prepares Official Travel Authorizations and Travel Claims, ensures that all the necessary travel documents, e.g. visas, vaccination certificates etc., are in order; arranges accommodation and transport;
- Screens telephone calls and directs them as appropriate and with discretion;
- Drafts on own initiative or under instruction non-substantive correspondence, some of which may be highly confidential;
- Maintains contact lists of government officials, the international community in country, local and national as well as out-of-country stakeholders;
- Prepares basic written translations or interprets verbally for HoM;
- Distributes and coordinates the work of and briefs or trains junior/newly appointed office staff;
- Performs other duties as required by HoM.