OSCE Missions and Field Activities are the front line of OSCE work in countries that require assistance and are the agent through which political decisions are translated into action. The OSCE Mission to Skopje is the Organization's longest-serving field mission. Based on the mandated priorities for the Mission, the Mission’s current activities are grouped in four main strategic areas: Inter-ethnic relations; including early warning; Rule of Law, Democratic Governance; and Transnational Threats.
|Tasks and Responsibilities|
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Communication and Media Relations Unit, the regular duties and responsibilities of the Senior Public Information and Media Assistant relate to press and public information, media policy, project activities and administrative tasks. More specifically, the incumbent:
1. Performs Press and Public Information tasks:
- Drafts in English press releases, media advisories, features stories, posts for the Mission’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, and contributions to the OSCE website, communicating directly with relevant programme and senior management staff as well as counterparts in the Secretariat in Vienna for clearance. - Organizes and covers public events including managing invitations to the press and arranging exclusive coverage by selected media and contacts regularly with the press about Mission events, facilitating answers from the Mission to inquiries from the press. - Arranges interviews given by the HoM or other Mission Members, including negotiating questions and drafting talking points for the interviewees as well as following up with journalists after the interview is conducted. - Monitors the domestic and international media for coverage of Mission activities and political issues relevant to the Mission and reports to the Senior Management on a daily basis. - Edits and approves content produced by the Mission in local languages and uploads finalized content into the OSCE websites content management system. - Advises departments on any public information campaigns, helping with the preparation of terms of reference and with selection processes for contractors.
2. Monitors and advises on media policy issues:
- Develops positive relations and communicates with middle and high level government officials, representatives of state institutions and media activists or non-governmental organizations for the purpose of following developments in legislation and national policy that affect the media. - Provides in-depth analysis in written and/or oral form based on information gathered from contacts and independent research. - Monitors, reports and provides analysis of overall trends in the media, focusing particularly on ethnic or political bias, the introduction of new media platforms, regulatory policy, freedom of the press, journalists’ safety, fake news, and professional standards, by meeting with relevant stakeholders and interest groups and gathering data available from domestic and international sources.
3. Manages and implements project activities:
- Participates in the planning and implementation of the Mission’s UB and Extra-Budgetary projects on media freedom. Identifies potential donors for ExB projects, assists in developing budgets, selecting partners and/or participants, drafting project proposal materials, and making logistical and administrative arrangements for project activities. - Conducts training in media related skills areas for project beneficiaries as part of project implementation when necessary.
4. Performs administrative tasks:
- Performs tasks related to procurement of goods and services, including development or oversight of specifications, input into the internal procurement system and follow up with General Services. - Manages the distribution of news summaries and wire service reports to the relevant Mission Members. - Files and archives all reports, project proposals, public information products and correspondence. - Translates on occasion when necessary.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
The candidates should have the following minimum qualifications:
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions, is approximately EUR 1,564.42.
Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna medical insurance and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
|How To Apply|
All candidates must apply online, using the OSCE online application link, found under https://jobs.osce.org. Please note that applications received by e-mail, submitted after the deadline or in other languages than the English language would not be considered.
The recruitment procedure may take up to two months and we will be in further contact with you only if you are short-listed. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, or offer the position with modified terms of reference or a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.