Background: Under the direct supervision of the National Project Officer, Politico-Military Dimension, and overall supervision of the Project Co-ordinator in Uzbekistan, the incumbent will be responsible for the formulation and implementation of the security and military work in conformity with the directives of the Secretariat in Vienna, including project development, assessment and management, implementation of activities in support of OSCE Ministerial and Permanent Council decisions, identification of local stakeholders for OSCE events, representing the supervisor and OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Uzbekistan at international, regional and national events.
The incumbent will be responsible for the successful implementation of joint projects with the government and NGO partners, including project identification, development and management in consultation with the host authorities and in co-operation with experts from national and international institutions. He/She will be provide advice, conducts research and prepares written analysis on security, military and law-enforcement issues, and monitors the work of contracted partners for joint projects as required.
Tasks and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the National Project Officer, Politico-Military Dimension, the incumbent carries out the following duties:
1. Project development and implementation • The incumbent functions as a point of contact in the OSCE Project Co-ordinator’s Office in Uzbekistan for security, military and law enforcement issues , is responsible for the implementation and co-ordination of ongoing projects and other project activities relating to security, military and law enforcement issues in the Office; • Establishes and maintains contacts with the relevant government officials and state structures as well as civil society institutions; provides support for the implementation of projects relating to border security, the strengthening of regional stability, transnational criminality, the fight against terrorism, extremism, drug-trafficking and other activities as determined; • Analyses and identifies urgent project requirements of the country not addressed by other agencies: formulates proposals for those strategic priorities in consultation with the supervisor; • Designs project proposals, contributes to fundraising efforts and implementation of projects approved; discusses the initiation of project activities with potential project partners and donors; • Co-ordinates project implementation by identifying problems and proposing specific actions to be taken to expedite delivery of inputs; drafts comments on designated aspects of project progress and inputs to project monitoring; drafts project revisions, including adjustments to individual project budgets on the basis of changed work plans; • Facilitates technical support to the government from expert institutions in consultation with the government, other staff in the office of the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Uzbekistan, the OSCE Secretariat and in co-ordination with international institutions/regional organizations, such as the World Bank, the EU, the Collective Security Treaty organization (CSTO) the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) and others. • Monitors ongoing project work and collaborates with national counterparts;
2. Reports on Security and Military issues. • Based on a thorough evaluation and analysis of the respective sector, prepares ad hoc and periodic reports, overviews and analytical material for the supervisor and the OSCE Project Coordinator in Uzbekistan, Prepares periodic reports to the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Uzbekistan, the OSCE Secretariat and the Uzbek Government on the progress of project implementation; • Provides input to the monthly activity report.
3. Participation in meeting and events • Participates with or on behalf of the supervisor or OSCE Project Co-ordinator in specific local, national, regional or international conferences and events.
4. Advisory functions Provides advice to the supervisor and local partners as required.
5. Performs other duties as required
Necessary Qualifications: • University degree in security or military studies, political science or international relations. • At least 2 years of relevant professional experience , in either research, academic, government, civil society, international organization or private sector institution dealing with security and military issues. Experience in project management, development and implementation is a requirement. • Experience in supervising joint international and national (government and/or NGO) projects. Experience in consulting and negotiating with high-ranking government representatives. • Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural and religious background, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity. • Computer competence and knowledge of modern office equipment. • Professional fluency in English, Russian and Uzbek languages. Remuneration Package: Appointment is normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under by 20 July 2018. https://jobs.osce.org/ Only short-listed candidates will be notified. The position is open for the Uzbekistan citizens only. No consideration will be given to the late applications. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization. Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.