Background: The OSCE Programme Office in Astana is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of National Programme Officer (NP1, S1) in its Politico-Military Dimension.
According to its mandate, the Office is entrusted with supporting Kazakhstan in implementing OSCE principles and commitments in all three dimensions within the OSCE framework approach to co-operative security, and in the regional context. The Office maintains contacts with national and local authorities, universities, research institutes, representatives of civil society and non-governmental organizations. It helps arrange OSCE regional, national and local events, including seminars and OSCE delegation visits. The Office provides assistance to the Government of Kazakhstan by building the capacity of national stakeholders and by facilitating information exchange between OSCE institutions and relevant state agencies on OSCE activities. It also contributes to raising awareness of OSCE values, principles and field activities among government and non-governmental institutions.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Political Officer and the general supervision of the Head of Office the incumbent will be tasked with:
- Developing project concepts and drafting project proposals based upon the Office mandate and the host country’s priorities.
- Preparing a plan for project implementation and overseeing all aspects of event preparation.
- Identifying opportunities for developing new partnerships and projects.
- Drafting or contributing to and/or otherwise compiling notes, background papers, talking points, speeches, and other correspondence for the benefit of the Head of Mission, Deputy Head of Mission, Political Officer and the OSCE Secretariat and institutions;
- Acts as a media focal point; maintains contacts with media outlets, journalists and diplomatic and international organizations located in Kazakhstan;
- Coordinates programmatic activities in the media realm;
- Drafting internal reports, including daily, weekly, activity, monitoring and background reports, according to OSCE rules and regulations;
- Conducting research and preparing analytical reports and papers on important matters related to political developments of the Mission mandated policy areas;
- Conducting the clearance of the Mission’s public outreach in order to ensure alignment of these outlets with the Mission’s mandate, consistency of expressed arguments, and policy guidelines from the Secretariat and the OSCE Permanent Council;
- Establishing and maintaining contacts with external stakeholders, in particular with political, religious and community representatives, as well as with governmental institutions, political parties, think tanks and civil society organizations in Kazakhstan;
- Coordinating OSCE activities with regard to the working groups and facilitating meetings of the working groups;
- Maintaining relationships with local and international NGOs, international organizations and other relevant international actors;
- Preparing analyses and internal reports of his/her activities;
- Performs other duties as required.
- University degree in politics, conflict and/or military studies, law, diplomacy, international relations or related field;
- Advanced educational/certified training course in a relevant field(s) desirable;
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience;
- Working experience with the governmental agency, military, civil society organization or an international organization is an advantage;
- Project management experience and skills/experience organizing meetings, conferences and seminars;
- Computer literate with practical experience in MS Packages;
- Excellent written and communication skills of English, and Russian languages; knowledge of the Kazakh language is preferred;
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities, religions, languages, and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Record of published academic or professional work is an advantage;
Remuneration Package: Monthly remuneration is EUR 2,179. Social benefits will include participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3, subject to specific conditions.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE`s online application link found under link https://jobs.osce.org/. Deadline for all applications is 03 Apr, 2019. No applications will be considered after the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that CVs and other applications submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form will not be reviewed. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Please note that the vacancy is open only amongst nationals of Kazakhstan.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.