Under the direct supervision of the Senior Executive Officer the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Provides legal opinion, advice and assistance to Head of Mission, Deputy Head of Mission, Senior Executive Officer, Chief of Fund Administration on a wide range of matters of importance to the lawful and proper operating of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe;
- Provides legal advice on domestic legal issues relevant and applicable to the legal, administrative, contractual and financial obligations of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe;
- Drafts legal opinions, prepares and reviews implementing partner agreements, memoranda of understanding, cost-sharing agreements, commercial contracts and any other documents of a legal nature; oversees the drafting of legal documents, including but not limited to implementing partner agreements, draft memoranda of understanding, draft cost-sharing agreements, commercial contracts, Notes Verbale and correspondence related to proceedings before courts and other tribunals; prepares and oversees the preparation of briefs and/or other filings;
- Provides expertise, interpretation (commentary) of the domestic law on various legal issues, including but not limited to administrative law, civil law, criminal law, contracts, property, taxation etc.;
- Advises on questions of international law affecting the status, privileges and immunities of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe and its legal relationships with the domestic governmental and non-governmental entities and institutions and officials, as well as legal relationships with international organizations operating in the Republic of Tajikistan;
- Undertakes research, studies and examination of legal precedents pertaining to the work of OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe, including but not limited to the areas set out in the mandate of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe and international law, public, private and administrative law; provides interpretation of legal instruments relevant to the work of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe;
- Advises on privileges and immunities of the OSCE officials and on legal matters related to the interpretation and application of the OSCE Staff Regulations and Staff Rules and other legal instruments, including but not limited to, Financial/Administrative Instructions and Fund circulars and instructions;
- Co-ordinates due diligence checks for existing Implementing Partners and other contractual counterparts of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe; conducts due diligence checks of newly proposed (pre-qualified) Implementing Partners and the most important contractual counterparts of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe;
- Contributes to development of Project Proposals, Programme Outlines, Unified Budget Proposals and any other relevant documents that the OSCE Programme Office in Tajikistan regularly develops;
- Serves as the custodian of the Roster of Implementing Partners of the OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe as well as a depository of all the documents of a legal nature, except for those that under responsible custodianship of the respective officials of the Fund Administration Unit;
- Undertakes consultations and participates in negotiations with representatives of the host-country governmental and non-governmental entities and institutions, international organizations operating in the host-country, contractors and implementing partners, and representatives of participating States (if any); provides advice and assistance to Head of Mission, Deputy Head of Mission, and Senior Executive Officer in resolving procedural and substantive legal questions in committees, and conferences, and meetings;
- Reviews, revises and clears from a legal perspective draft letters, reports, proposals, agreements and other texts prior to approval by the Head of Mission;
- Liaises with the OSCE Secretariat’s Office of Legal Affairs on legal issues that require their co-ordination, review and or clearance;
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of two years of relevant professional legal experience at national or international level;
- Experience with an international organization field (country) office in the area of substantive legal services is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of international legal procedures standards and instruments applicable to international intergovernmental organizations and diplomatic missions;
- Thorough knowledge of, inter alia, the domestic administrative, civil, criminal, customs, and tax law;
- Strong advocacy; good organizational and technical legal skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to present complex issues with clarity and to adapt discourse to the target audience;
- Computer literacy with practical experience in Microsoft Office applications, as well as practical experience in working with legal applications;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Russian in addition to the Tajik language;
- Ability to work with people of different nationalities, religions and cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/. ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED, offline applications received by email, post etc. will not be accepted. Please note that the vacancy is open for competition only amongst nationals of Tajikistan.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.