Under the supervision of the Senior Legal Officer, the National Legal Officer is responsible for:
- Monitoring the legal system in the assigned region by directly monitoring court proceedings, analysing court records, and liaising with court staff, judges, prosecutors and private lawyers;
- Analysing and reporting on monitoring activities in order to determine whether the regional justice system is complaint with domestic law and international human rights standards;
- Designing and implementing activities and projects in the region to address identified gaps;
- Assisting the policy development and reporting of the Law and Justice Section on justice-related matters in co-operation with relevant actors;
- Advising the human rights and municipal officers operating within the Regional Office on justice-sector issues;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- First-level university law degree.
- Minimum of two years of practical legal experience, practicing as a private lawyer, judicial law clerk, trial monitor, or legal officer in a private company, non-governmental organization, government agency or international organization
- Established understanding and awareness of international legal instruments, in particular European Human Rights Law as well as the laws and legal procedures applicable to the mission area
- Computer literate with practical experience with Microsoft applications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Serbian. Knowledge of other local languages would be an asset
- Holding a valid driving license.
- Core values
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 1,587.67 Euro/month. Social benefits will include participation in the OSCE group medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
How To Apply
In order to apply for this position you must complete the OSCE's online application form, found under https://jobs.osce.org Applicants are encouraged to use the online recruitment and only fully completed OSCE applications will be accepted. However, if you have technical difficulties with the system you may use the offline application form found under https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/offline-application-form and forward the completed form quoting the vacancy number by e-mail to: Recruitment.OMiK@osce.org In line with your qualifications please indicate preference to one or more field of expertise listed above (while using the online application the field of expertise preference can be indicated in the cover letter part). Kindly note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered. The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.