The Governance in Economic and Environmental Issues Department would like to engage the services of one national expert undertake a diagnosis assessment with 13 municipality, members of the Extractive Royalty Platform, on the economic situation, structural analysis and budget impact due to Covid-19 situationThe remuneration will be according to OSCE Rules and Regulation consultancies fees.
The OSCE Presence in Albania is providing support to local governments to share knowledge and address joint challenges through a solution-oriented approach. In this context, the Presence has supported the establishment of a Local Government Knowledge Sharing (LGKS) platform composed of 13 member municipalities focused on the impact of the extractive industries at the local level, with a particular attention to the local revenues stemming from mineral royalty.
The current Covid19 pandemic is confronting both citizens and public authorities with an unprecedented situation. The Albanian government has identified the need for an economic analysis on the impact of the pandemic in the 13 target municipalities. It is important for municipalities to understand their fiscal capacities and how their resources were redirected to cope with the pandemic situation. In addition, the assessment will analyse all the actions and decision taken at local level, the economic impact, what structural changes were taken and the ability within local municipalities to perform their functions in providing community services and investments.
For this purpose, the department seeks to engage a national expert to undertake a diagnosis assessment on the economic situation, structural analysis and budget implication in 13 municipalities that are members of the Local Governance Knowledge Sharing platform.
Tasks and responsibilities:
Task 1. Desk research: the expert shall:
i) develop a research methodology to identify the instruments for the desk research, the collection and analysis of information, and the impact on current economic situation in the 13 LGKS platform members. ii) prepare a semi-structured questionnaire for interviews with LGKS members, relevant stakeholders from the Agency of Local Self Governance, Association of Municipalities, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Interior.
Task 2. Stakeholder analysis: i) Conducting online meetings / telephone calls with 13 LGKS members. ii) Conducting online / telephone interviews with key central authorities, approximately six representatives from the Ministry of Finance and Economy, the Ministry of Interior and with both Association of Municipalities. iii) Conducting online / telephone interviews with approximately five other stakeholders from international partners (UNDP, Swiss, EU).
Task 3. Draft Assessment: Draft the desk research assessment on the economic situation of the 13 LGKS members. The desk assessment will cover: i) Local Government Units (LGUs) economic situation due to Covid-19, emphasizing 2020 budget and current costs and revenues ii) structural changes that LGUs have taken and/or are in the process of taking, and iii) what is the budget impact in various local functions as per their competences derived from Law on Local Self-Governance. The draft assessment should be submitted within 25 August 2020.
Task 4. Consultation workshop: Present the draft assessment during an online consultation workshop with all 13 LGKS members, central authorities, and the Ministry of Interior representatives. The consultation will invite other partners working in the local government area. The consultation workshops will take place online in mid-September 2020 (date tbc).
Task 5. Developing the final assessment: The expert will develop the final assessment based on the collected suggestion during the consultation workshop and other comments received by the ERP members no later than 30 September. The expert will submit the final assessment by 7 October 2020.
1. Inception report which includes: research methodology, including questionnaires, list of documents/reports/materials to be reviewed/consulted, diagnosis assessment outline and list of stakeholders to be interviewed as indicated in Task 2, within 10 days after contract signature;
2. Draft diagnosis assessment report, submitted within 25 August 2020, in Word format consisting of 30-40 pages in Albanian language;
3. Deliver a presentation in Power Point format (OSCE standard) and in Albanian language of the draft diagnosis assessment during the consultation workshop in mid-September 2020 (date tbc). The presentation will be shared 3 days in advance to the organization of the consultation workshop.
4. Submit the final report reflecting the comments received until 30 September, on the diagnosis assessment in Word format, in Albanian language, in clear and concise language, no more than 40 pages, by 7 October.
• Advanced degree in law or economic and/or business administration;
• A minimum of five years of work experience as consultant, expert on Albanian local government legislation, local and fiscal policies in the framework of Local Tax Law and/or on Local Self-Government Finances Law;
• Knowledge and/or previous experience working in post disaster analysis will be an added advantage;
• Excellent communication, drafting and presentation skills in Albanian and in English;
• Knowledge of the OSCE local governance commitments will be an added advantage;
The remuneration will be according to OSCE Rules and Regulation consultancies fees.
All applications are due by 27 June 2020. If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org/.
Should you have any question, kindly contact email@example.com
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the organization.