21 October 2019
- 23:59 Central European Time (CET/CEST)
Date of entry on duty
1 November 2019
The OSCE High Commissioner on National Minorities (HCNM) promotes conflict prevention and integration of diverse societies. HCNM was established in 1992 to identify and seek early resolution of ethnic tensions that might endanger peace, stability, or friendly relations between OSCE participating States. The office is consists of: the High Commissioner; a Director; area teams comprising political, legal and project advisers/officers; and an administrative and support team.
Under the direction of the Chief of Fund Administration, the incumbent functions as an administrative focal point for building services, protocol, travel, and administrative support to the Director. The appointment is temporary, to cover a leave of absence for approximately two months, with the possibility of month-to-month extension upon mutual agreement for up to a maximum of six months.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Functioning as the office focal point for administrative matters related to visas and protocol:
- Processing HCNM Officials’ applications to the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs for diplomatic identification cards;
- Facilitating the import/export of vehicles, including registration, procurement, disposal and inspection in accordance with procedures;
- Assisting HCNM staff members and their family members in protocol related matters.
Coordinating Building Management Services:
- Coordinates maintenance of the building, infrastructure, fire and security systems, often in consultation with relevant Netherlands authorities (Rijksvastgoedbedrijf);
- Booking and following through on repairs
- Coordinating with the relevant Netherlands authorities on building maintenance issues;
- Coordinating the outsourced cleaning services and overseeing the day-to-day functioning of the cleaning staff.
Supporting the Director of the Office:
- Managing the Director’s agenda, correspondence, processing travel claims, and providing additional ad-hoc personal assistant functions upon request;
- Organizing and booking official travel in accordance with OSCE procedures;
Administrative focal point for HCNM ancillary services:
- Supporting the organisation of events related to the office itself, e.g., meetings, retreats, seminars and conferences;
- Identifying venues and making bookings;
- Registering section members at events;
- Backstopping the administration team in similar functions during occasional absences, etc.
Performing other duties as required.
Secondary education supplemented by formal training in secretarial administration support.
A minimum of four years of experience in secretarial or administrative support functions.
Experience working in a protocol and visa unit at a Hague-based international organization would be considered as an advantage.
Computer literacy, with practical experience with Oracle and Microsoft packages.
Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
A working knowledge Dutch would be considered as an advantage.
An ability to work well with people of diverse nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
An awareness of applying a gender perspective to duties carried out in the workplace.
Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Monthly remuneration is approximately EUR 3250. OSCE salaries are exempt from taxation in The Netherlands. Social benefits include the possibility of participation in Cigna medical insurance.
How To Apply
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages candidates from all national, religious, ethnic, social, and gender identities to apply.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE’s online application link found under https://jobs.osce.org.
Appointments made to this vacancy are of a short-term temporary duration.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.