The general minimum requirements for working in this field of expertise are:
- University education in law
- Experience in the practice of law, e.g. judges, prosecutors, lawyers, etc.
- Knowledge of courtroom proceedings and criminal law and procedure
- Knowledge of international legal procedure standards and instruments
- Demonstrable organizational, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
Furthermore, this level of responsibility requires the following:
Advanced education in relevant field. Advanced degree in a management discipline an asset
Minimum 10 years relevant, diversified and progressively responsible professional experience including at least 5 years at the management level relevant to the actual position
Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
- Advanced degree in law
- Experience with an International Organization field Mission in the field of substantive legal services
- Experience working in a private law firm in the field of administrative, employment or contract law
- Proven political sensitivity and acumen
- Strong advocacy, organizational and managerial skills
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views while maintaining impartiality and objectivity
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and with limited time frames
- Ability to operate Windows applications, including word processing and email
- Knowledge of the regional political situation and the legal framework in the Mission area
- Knowledge of law issues relating to the functional areas in the Mission
- Training and experience in negotiations
Under the general supervision of the Head of Mission, the incumbent:
- Directs and supervises the work and personnel of the office of Legal Affairs (one international and three national mission members);
- Provides authoritative legal opinion and advice on: a) all areas of the mandate of the OSCE, inter alia, human rights, democratization, media, elections, police and public safety training; b) the independent institutions established by the OSCE (Central Election Commission, Independent Media Commission, Kosovo Judicial Institute, Ombudsperson, Radio Television of Kosovo, Press Council and Kosovo Academy for Public Safety); c) issues relating to the functions, structure and activities of the Mission; and d) the general legal framework in Kosovo. Serves as final authority on the legal interpretation of the Mission's mandate;
- Co-ordinates, supervises, approves, and, as appropriate, undertakes research and studies and examination of legal precedents related to the activities of the Mission, inter alia the areas set out in the Mission's mandate and international, public, private and administrative law; ensures consistency of interpretations of legal instruments relevant to the work of the Mission; reviews, revises and clears from the legal perspective draft letters, proposals, agreements and other texts prior to final decision by Head of Mission;
- Advises on questions of international law affecting the status and privileges and immunities of the Mission and its legal relationships with local institutions and international organizations; advises on privileges and immunities of Mission members (arrest/detention/safe passage/communication with courts) and on legal matters related to the interpretation and application of the legal framework and the OSCE Staff Regulations and Staff Rules;
- Provides legal advice and interpretation of OSCE Permanent Council Decisions and UN Security Council Resolutions affecting the Mission and its mandate; advises on the interpretation of international agreements, treaties, and conventions affecting the Mission; prepares or oversees the preparation of drafts of correspondence, notes and agreements, as required, relating to the above; and reviews, revises and clears the legal portions of reports as required;
- Provides advice and legal interpretation to the Head of Mission and the Organization on issues related to the Mission's property situation;
- Undertakes consultations and participates in negotiations with representatives of local institutions, United Nations Mission in Kosovo, Kosovo Force (KFOR) and the international presence in Kosovo, contractors and implementing partners, and representatives of participating States; provides advice and assistance in resolving procedural and substantive legal questions in committees, and conferences, and meetings;
- Advises on claims by and against the Mission: reviews and clears all Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs), Implementing Partner Agreements (IPAs), contracts, leases and agreements; drafts or oversees the drafting of Mission legal documents, including contracts, MoUs, IPAs, Notes Verbale and correspondence related to proceedings before courts and other tribunals; prepares and oversees the preparation of briefs and/or other filings;
- Drafts documents and advises on matters related to OSCE Committees and Boards, including the Fund Material Management Committee and other committees and boards as established;
- Participates in Disciplinary Committees and Internal Review Boards as an ex-officio member; reviews and clears all disciplinary matters and appeals prior to decision by Head of Mission;
- Co-ordination with the Legal Services Office in the OSCE Secretariat in Vienna on all matters of the Mission dealing directly with the Organization;
- Performs any other duties as required.
For more on the OSCE Mission in Kosovo, please see: http://www.osce.org/mission-in-kosovo
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
Candidates should, prior to applying, verify with their respective nominating authority to which extent financial remuneration and/or benefit packages will be offered.
Please apply to your relevant authorities several days prior to the deadline expiration to ensure timely processing of your application. Delayed nominations will not be considered.